Angry mother grabbing childThis is the first post in a series of articles addressing specific circumstances in which a father may seek an emergency change in a child custody order in Peoria, Illinois. I have previously provided an overview of the emergency custody change process. I feel it is important, however, to take a more in depth look at specific situations that justify an emergency revision to a previous custody order. As always, if you believe your child may be in imminent danger, contact the police immediately. If you need assistance seeking an emergency modification to a custody order, contact my office as soon as possible to speak to a fathers’ rights attorney.

In this series, we will explore the following situations which may give rise to an emergency child custody change:

  • Parental drug use
  • Alcoholism and alcohol abuse
  • When the other parent is engaging in criminal activity
  • Child neglect

It is important to understand that Illinois judges will only consider situations to be “emergencies” under specific situations. These situations typically entail some type of immediate danger or threat to the child. First, such instances may include a parent who is using “hard” drugs when the child is present. Drugs such as heroin or methamphetamines may be treated differently than validly used prescription drugs or legal recreational marijuana use. Second, alcoholism or alcohol abuse that results in a danger to the child may also be seen as an emergency. Third, criminal activity by a parent in the presence of a child can lead to an emergency modification. Last, for obvious reasons, the court will often modify an order if there is reason to believe that a child is being seriously neglected by a parent while in their care.

As a concerned father, one may believe grounds exist to seek an emergency custody change. These issues are often emotionally charged and contentious. I cannot overemphasize the importance of retaining an experienced Illinois family lawyer to review your case and represent you during the process. If you need assistance with a relocation request, contact my office today to schedule an initial consultation with a fathers’ rights attorney. In addition to Peoria, I serve clients in the cities of Bloomington, Eureka, Galesburg, Morton, Normal, Pekin, Springfield, and Washington. I also serve the counties of Fulton, Knox, LaSalle, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Putnam, Rock Island, Schuyler, Stark, Tazewell, and Woodford.