Child support agreementThis is the first post in a series which will discuss handling Peoria, Illinois family law cases involving unpaid child support. I am writing on this topic as, for obvious reasons, support payments are often a touchy subject between parents. Many fathers do not know how to proceed if they are falling behind on their support or if they are owed back payments. The goal of my coming articles is to provide information which can help dads to deal with these issues in the proper manner. Contact my office today if you require the assistance of an attorney.

I will be discussing several topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • The contempt process in cases involving unpaid child support
  • Modifying child support after one loses their job
  • Why one may not engage in “self help” regarding support payments
  • Dealing with a mother who is not paying court ordered support

I consider these important topics to address for multiple reasons. First, it is important to understand that legal process and that one faces a possible contempt hearing for not paying their child support. Second, you must take immediate steps to modify your support obligations if you lose your job or if your hours are reduced. The Court’s prior orders will remain in effect until they are modified. Third, the Court will have little patience for those who take it upon themselves to modify their payments without going through the legal process. Finally, if a mother is not paying her court ordered support then it is important to deal with the situation before the arrears reach too high of an amount.

One point I cannot stress enough is that a Judge’s primary concern will always be for the best interests of the children. For obvious reasons, it is in the interests of a child to make sure that they are properly supported. This is why support issues should not be seen as a private matter between two parents; Family Courts will not hesitate to hold a non-paying parent in contempt. If you require assistance then contact my office today to speak with a Peoria fathers’ rights lawyer. I also serve the counties of Fulton, Knox, LaSalle, Marshall, Mason, McLean, Putnam, Rock Island, Schuyler, Stark, Tazewell, and Woodford.